Building a Gatling gun.

garandman

jarhead jim said:
I'm with you.....They looked a lot better on paper. I'll probably have to make thicker ones. If you lock the swivel plate down and try to turn the gun, the legs twist a little. I thought 1-1/4 by 1-7/8 oak would be stout enough but I guess I was wrong.

Jim

Finished and stained, the wood does look darn good.

Aren't some gatts mounted on a caison / some sort of rolling platform?

jarhead jim

Range Brass Whore, UZI Talk Life Member,
LOL!! Oh hell yeah! Yes, most of them were wheel mounted and had a caison with them. My first one was wheel mounted.

Jim

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Were can I get the plans for the 12g? You have truly inspired me. Thank you Sir.

FOZ

UZI Talk Supporter
strobro32 said:
Were can I get the plans for the 12g? You have truly inspired me. Thank you Sir.

There in jims head and to be honest I would not go in there if I were you

Foz

jarhead jim

I'm afraid Foz is right, they're in my head. The only thing I can tell you is if you go there use a 1" bolt for the bolt and a 1.50 by 1.00 DOM tube for the bolt carriers. It makes feeding the round into the chamber really easy. Pretty much if you just follow this post from the start and adjust for the size of a 12 gauge chamber and barrel. The 12 gauge I built was the same gun as this .45 auto only larger barrels, bolts and bolt carriers. The same size cam, cam shroud, crank, etc.

If you start on this I will help you out however I can. But be prepared for some real headaches.

Jim

jarhead jim

Well, we gots a glitch. Took it to the range this afternoon and had some head space issues. Seems the file where the bolt bottoms up against when it fires is not hard enough. It is leaving a small indentation where it fires. The bolt where the grade 8 bolt is welded to it is giving some too. This is causing a gap when it fires causing some of the barrels to not fire. I guess I'll have to hard surface them both with some "Stoody" hard surfacing compound. I ran 50 rounds through the magazine without any handgups though so I guess the feeding issues are a thing of the past.

Fudge!

Jim

szumi

piratesover40 said:
Try here. This will take the pressure off JJ.

http://www.gatlingguns.net/

Great site for building a .22LR gat. I know because I'm building one atm. Jim's posts of building a bigger gun is the high point of many of my days.

Btw, JarheadJim, USMC 1975-79 MOS 6657/0311.:salute

Clutch

jarhead jim

I'm at a stand still waiting for the parts to get plated. Probably be another 3 or 4 weeks. I'll post a heads up in the general forum when it's all done so you can come here and see it.

Szumi, 0351. '83 - '88

Jim

piratesover40

UZI Talk Life Member
jarhead jim said:
I'm at a stand still waiting for the parts to get plated. Probably be another 3 or 4 weeks. I'll post a heads up in the general forum when it's all done so you can come here and see it.

Szumi, 0351. '83 - '88

Jim

Jim:

I saw where a guy built what looks like a 45/70 or .45 long colt mag. The way he did it is to cut away the front portion of the mag down to a certain point. Ten while he was cranking he had some one always feeding ammo to the mag. He basically had a chain gun at that point. You could make one and have two types of mags and still be correct for the design. One other thing I saw watching some of the videos on U-tube. The crank handles could be shortened some what because the guys were having trouble cranking the longer handles causing stoppages. What would happen if you made another crank but about 2'' shorter? Just asking not trying to force my ideas on you by any means.

Chuck

piratesover40

UZI Talk Life Member
szumi said:
Great site for building a .22LR gat. I know because I'm building one atm. Jim's posts of building a bigger gun is the high point of many of my days.

Btw, JarheadJim, USMC 1975-79 MOS 6657/0311.:salute

Clutch

Well I thought they might have had plans for bigger cals. Sorry.

jarhead jim

I've seen the mag you're talking about. It was more or less a clip that the cartridge case rim slid down a C shaped groove. One guy cranked while the other one fed ammo and pulled down on the bullets in the mag. That particular mag was designed for the 2 piece 20 round cartridge boxes. When you took the top off of the cartridge box, about 1/2 to 3/4" of the rear of the rounds would stick out. You just slid the cases down the 2 row magazine and pulled the box off and threw it away. You could really load as fast as the gunner could shoot.

Jim

BeltFedEd

UZI Talk Life Member
Bruce Feed

gatling_gun_big.jpg

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter