got my prototype M11/AR22 conversion working.

Tobias Arms

got my prototype M11/AR22 conversion working. Now W/video

Sure I could have gotten a lage kit, but I did not like the cost of the stick mags, or the limited capacity. I had plenty of AR22 conversion mags, including drums on hand, so I decided to make my own. (plus I like to tinker)

I have been working on it off and on for more than a year (mostly off), but finally got it working well. Still tweaking with the bolt weight to get it shooting slower. as long as I can consistently pull singles while suppressed, I will be happy (850rpm ish). Of course unsuppressed it would be a little slower.

Yes it takes black dog machine mags, including the 50 round drum :)

I still need to work on the mag catch, it's a little hard to get to with your trigger finger, even with the extension I made. But I will try it out at next months subgun match. Since the pictures have been taken I have threaded the barrel.
0906121819a.jpg

It does eject to the right, but at first I was thinking of being able to change the ejection direction, that is why there is a cutout on the left.

0906121819.jpg

I hacked at the ejection opening a little too much. The operating handle can be switched to either side.

0906121820a-1.jpg

with the 50 round drum.

BTW, the stock is the standard wire stock, with a piece of black painted PVC pipe on top, wrapped with paracord. It makes for a nice cheek weld, and raises you up enough to see the sight.

Videos:
Regular:
Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-buZJ7JHxA&feature=youtu.be

De-caf:
Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfCrad2VRhU&feature=youtu.be

50 round drum dumps:
Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq-BdRA1Kbw

280 rounds back to back test
Link to video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyT9ChX5yW4

Last edited:

LawBob

What kind of sick bastard are you? Dogs and cats sleeping together, total anarchy

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
You call that tinkering? Great job!

Is e everything custom or did you start with a 22 bolt from another gun?

Tobias Arms

You call that tinkering? Great job!

Is e everything custom or did you start with a 22 bolt from another gun?

It does use an AR mag catch, and a picatinny rail from my parts bin, off some forend. But everything else is custom. Mostly laser cut metal, and some 3D printed plastic parts, and machined parts.

Last edited:

emerz

UZI Talk Supporter
That is one coolest things I have seen in a long time! Good job.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Very cool! I like it. Now that you have an AR magazine well, when are we going to see a 5.56?

Just kidding. You did a good job. I want 1st in line for a top loading AM180 drum. :)

J-Ho

What's the possibility of seeing some of the guts of that thing? It looks like you did hell of a good job. I wish my tinkering was half as nice looking.

Tobias Arms

.... I want 1st in line for a top loading AM180 drum. :)
That is still on the tinkering list.....with ejection downward thru the grip. But first I will finish this one.

The guts are nothing too special. It's open bolt, so nothing really new technology wise. you can actually see the cutout near the rear of the upper that was for an adjustable buffer that could be slid forward for increased rate of fire. But I took that out and simplified it....plus it was in the way of the recoil spring.....I'll see if I can take some pictures this weekend, though.

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
That is still on the tinkering list...

I stared at a peice of box tubing over the summer in an attempt to figure how to run the Lage 22 kit upside down, but the only thing I got out if it was a headache. I've since backed off on the tinkering. You can only get so far with a file and dremel tool.

Good luck in the next one, you're skilz are impressive to say the least.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I would pay twenty bucks to see and hear Macaholic's reaction to you ripping the heart and soul from this historically significant weapon by creating such a dangerous contraption.

I love to see guys here who can think outside the box. Nice job on the FrankenMACAR 22!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter