Lage Max 10/15 getting stuck on follower

mscard02

I just received my lage 10/15 last week and was making sure it functioned correctly when I noticed that the bolt would get stuck on the follower on the last round. I tested multiple brand new pmag gen 2, gen 3, and some extra troy magazines laying around and they all had the same issue. I attached a photo below to show where the bolt is hitting on brand new mag for reference. It seems pretty far off from being able to clear. I am pretty sure this is probably not normal function but just wanted to check other people's experiences, specifically with pmags.

H35ALdP.png

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
Because there is no last round bolt hold open like an AR 15, the bolt will hit the follower and should push it down. Try to use a magazine that has a follower with a ramp on the back. Regardless if the bolt catches on the follower on an empty mag’, the upper will function just fine.

mscard02

Thanks for the reply, any recommendations on mags that already have the follower ramp? When releasing the bolt from the rear most position it unfortunately still does not have enough force to ride over the follower and instead takes a chunk out of then plastic like the picture in the previous post. This probably isn't idea for long term usage and while I was hoping to reuse the 100 ar mags laying around, I don't mind ro buy specific mags for this upper. I was nervous that it was a sign that something else is off as well with the 10/15 upper and wanted to double check before I fire it the first time.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
All I've used are USGI mags. (Name the contractor )

And some NIB OKAY mags along with a surefire 60.

No hangups at all.

The USGI are the green or black followers OKAY are those tan and what ever other color they are putting in them for followers.

Sadly OKAY went out of biz a while ago so they are up in price when they show up.

m11stuff@hotmail.com

UZI Talk Life Member
If you are dry fire testing these mag’s, make sure you insert the mag’ and then tug down on it to make sure it is not over inserted.

mscard02

If you are dry fire testing these mag’s, make sure you insert the mag’ and then tug down on it to make sure it is not over inserted.

just rechecked with multiple brand new gen 2 and 3 pmags again making sure I pull down and it still completely hangs on a dry fire. the bolt does not look like it is even close to clearing. I have tried dry firing on one of my new pmags maybe 10-15 times and it has taken a decent chunk of plastic out of the follower when it hits so there is no way this will would work long-term with pmags (or the troy and hexmags i have on hand). Would you be willing to take this back and check it out to make sure something isn't out of spec? If so I'll give Jackie a call and get it set up.

H3eJe7j.png

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
Simple fix as I did this to all my P-Mags. After a dry fire and the bolt mark is left on the follower,remove the follower and use a file or piece of sand paper to round/angle the follower where the mark is.You may have to reassemble and dry fire a couple times till you get the follower where the bolt will push it down and glide home. This is an easy fix if you have a little mechanical ability. You will basically make a small left angled ramp where the bolt mark is. Easy Peasy.

Deerhurst

The important thing there is: Does it run with live ammo?

Hell, they did this on AKs for a "LRBHO". I wouldnt be worried.

mscard02

The important thing there is: Does it run with live ammo?

Hell, they did this on AKs for a "LRBHO". I wouldnt be worried.

Hopefully will get a chance to try it out this weekend. For the AK LRBHO mags (yugo and croatian) they used steel followers to prevent deformation from the bolt.

renovate7

Interesting thread. I've only used older 20 rd USGI mags with no issues. And as I look at them the back of the follower is rounded/sloped. I've also looked at all the various flavors of GI metal bodied mags I have and all have the same rounded follower. The mags I have that don't have a GI contract number on the package have the squared follower. You can probably get a small rounded bit in a dremel and slope the followers in place without removing them from the mags. Or just get mags with the sloped follower, there are plenty out there.

Deerhurst

Hopefully will get a chance to try it out this weekend. For the AK LRBHO mags (yugo and croatian) they used steel followers to prevent deformation from the bolt.

They all eventually get deformed if you put enough cycles through them.

mscard02

They all eventually get deformed if you put enough cycles through them.

agreed, but you could make that argument with any part of the gun. The question is always how long. A metal follower catching a lighter ak 47 carrier will last much longer than the heavy open bolt slamming on polymer. There is a reason the bolt catch of an ar 15 is metal and not polymer. Anyways, i do get your point, but i do believe the designs you are comparing are much different as one was intended for this use case. I would be interested in how long a pmag last that is constantly getting caught. I may try to continue to let the bolt catch on my new pmag I was using for testing and see what it looks like after 100 times or so just for curiosity.

Filing down the pmag is probably the way to go, although i will probably just take other's recommendations and buy a bunch of mags that already have the ramp for the bolt in the rear.

For anyone interested, gunmagwarehouse has some of the Okay Surefeed mags that were mentioned earlier in this thread as a black Friday special for $12.99. They currently still have fde in stock. If these work fine i will pick up a bunch more and just save the pmags for the other rifles that use them. Thanks to everyone for the help

Last edited:

Fulliautomatix

I just put a new Magpul M2 mag in mine and dropped the bolt. It cleared the mag and no indication of it being struck by the bolt.

I'm here to complain about not having a last round bolt hold open, lol. Totally joking.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Ya grab those OKAY MAGS.

Far cry from the 5.99 they used to be but again not made anymore so the NOS that's out there is it.

About 2017 I was lucky to trade all my NIW pmags for NIB OKAY mags 1:1 at the Bloomsburg gun show.

Only pmags I have now are the novelty mags that are laser engraved.

" NEVER BRING A SKATEBOARD TO A GUN FIGHT"

beltfed

UZI Talk Supporter
My upper does the same with any of my mags all metal. If you push the mag all the way in the bolt will hang.
Just make sure you pull the mag down before handing it to someone to shoot.

Galil#1

Thanks alot guys, just made me buy a ten pack of the aluminum OKAY Surefeed 30rd mags.

Grant435

Thanks alot guys, just made me buy a ten pack of the aluminum OKAY Surefeed 30rd mags.

Ya same here, I swore no more panic buying since I already have a lot and money is tight with my other projects. I bought 15 more of these mags since they are being discontinued

Galil#1

^^^^^^^^ Yep... like a mix of Better to have and not need, then need and not have... + some OCD + some... if you can't have it, you want it more - basic human psychology lol. It helps makes us sleep better too perhaps lol.

Deerhurst

agreed, but you could make that argument with any part of the gun. The question is always how long. A metal follower catching a lighter ak 47 carrier will last much longer than the heavy open bolt slamming on polymer. There is a reason the bolt catch of an ar 15 is metal and not polymer. Anyways, i do get your point, but i do believe the designs you are comparing are much different as one was intended for this use case. I would be interested in how long a pmag last that is constantly getting caught. I may try to continue to let the bolt catch on my new pmag I was using for testing and see what it looks like after 100 times or so just for curiosity.

Filing down the pmag is probably the way to go, although i will probably just take other's recommendations and buy a bunch of mags that already have the ramp for the bolt in the rear.

For anyone interested, gunmagwarehouse has some of the Okay Surefeed mags that were mentioned earlier in this thread as a black Friday special for $12.99. They currently still have fde in stock. If these work fine i will pick up a bunch more and just save the pmags for the other rifles that use them. Thanks to everyone for the help

But car suspension has a polymer as the first thing that takes the load/impact at every point. Ball joints sit in a poler, arm bushings, shock bushings, etc. Polymers can be stronger and more durable than metals. Metals tend to fatigue when polymers bounce back. The right metal or polymer in the right spot does wonderful things. Heck, entire polymer guns! I've got a bunch of chewed up Pmags from AR use, range use, being dropped, kicked, stepped on, etc. They work fine. Pmags are pretty tough and give where a metalag would deform and be rendered useless.

If you want cheap mags I believe global ordinance still has their SHKags for $5 a pop.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter