Max-11/15 on pigs

pawala4962

11/15 in 300BO on pigs. I had some bad results with hollow point bullets, and this was the first try with Sierra 125 Gr Gamechanger.
[video]http://www.youtube.com/video/eaOhdN97-Eo[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
It would seem to me that you are using under powered ammunition. The bore is much larger than 5.56 and uses a pistol length gas tube. Unless you are using a custom barrel, the factory port size is for 300 BLK OUT is for both lighter supersonic and heavier subsonic ammunition. If you want more "punch" in .30 caliber, I would use full power 7.62x39 with your hollow point bullets. It is my understanding that SAMMI specs for 300 BLK OUT are lower pressure than 7.62x39. More, terminal energy, would have greater expansion.

Scott

Last edited:

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
It would seem to me that you are using under powered ammunition. The bore is much larger than 5.56 and uses a pistol length gas tube. Unless you are using a custom barrel, the factory port size is for 300 BLK OUT is for both lighter supersonic and heavier subsonic ammunition. If you want more "punch" in .30 caliber, I would use full power 7.62x39 with your hollow point bullets. It is my understanding that SAMMI specs for 300 BLK OUT are lower pressure than 7.62x39. More, terminal energy, would have greater expansion.

Scott

I have read this too and got a bunch of hollow point wolf, but 2 or 3 rounds will do more than 1 so he has that going for him. ;-)

Cool vid, there are SO many piggies!

pawala4962

Why did you stop at one pig?

As I mentioned, on a previous trip I had shot at some with hollow points, probably shot 15-20 rounds. Lots of dust but nothing on the ground. This was a trial with the new bullets. I kept the rifle on the pig in case it got up. Looking at the video I ask myself the same question. There was a piglet just begging to go on the pit. Next time I’ll try to get more.

pawala4962

Gaujo those are valid points. However I have used the 300-221 since before it was the 300BO. I really like the round and it really is adequate with good bullet placement. Our hunting group has used it with good success for many years. It boils down to how dead you do want to kill the animal? I could haul a belt fed and mow them down. But I really want to play with the 11-15 and I am familiar and comfortable with the 300BO.

pawala4962

where was this hunt? if in Texas, you didnt need game warden approval.

We are in the Texas hill country. I was going to be shooting full auto on pigs, but others in the party were going to be deer hunting. I was also going to deer hunt with a conventional rifle. It seemed like a good idea to let the game warden know what was going on and get his approval.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I have not killed any pigs with my guns but the 125 gr JHP 300 BO makes a bigger mess with watermelons.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
For hogs I say you're good with any center-fire rifle if it's just an occasional thing. The Loanstar boars guy is the master of hog hunting, and he says 308 is the best followed by 7.63x39, butnit was 20c a shot then so whstever. If u ever want to mess with 7.62 I'll send u a duramag.

If you'll let me shoot some pigs with you I'll shoot whatever caliber you say ;-)

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
I shot 7 pigs on sunday with a 9" 300BO and Hornday 190gr Sub x. None of them went anywhere. All shot 100 to 150yds in about 15 seconds.

10mmlover

I think it's the right time to consider covering your feeder with AR500 panels so you can "go hog wild" so to speak. That sounds like a very high rate of fire(agree with that comment above about the MG42). Have you measured what the ROF is with your setup?

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
We are in the Texas hill country. I was going to be shooting full auto on pigs, but others in the party were going to be deer hunting. I was also going to deer hunt with a conventional rifle. It seemed like a good idea to let the game warden know what was going on and get his approval.

so I guess last year. cool. hope yall were successful!
if I had more pigs at my feeders (like that) I'd be doing the same thing.

while not required to give LEO the headsup, its often appreciated which can alleviate some headaches sometimes.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
I shot 7 pigs on sunday with a 9" 300BO and Hornday 190gr Sub x. None of them went anywhere. All shot 100 to 150yds in about 15 seconds.

Chili,

Where's my bacon? Ain't got no time for goat meat...

LawBob

You don’t need a permit to shoot them. You need a basic permit to harvest them.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Once in a while I will. Never during the hotter months and they need to be small. Also boars are gross

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter