My new UZI brass catcher

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
The library references the late 'Herr-Pear's' brass catcher here: https://uzitalk.com/reference/pages/tools.htm
The one in the library was his first iteration he did.
Pictured below is one he did for a few of us that didn't interfere with optics.
Herr-Pear_BC-2.jpg

As you can see it can rotate and you can lose the pin. The pin makes it kind of awkward to deal with during a match.
So I've been thinking about making my own and here is what I did.
UZI-BC-1.jpg

UZI-BC-2.jpg

UZI-BC-3.jpg

UZI-BC-4.jpg

Note that the ID of the SMG pin is a little over 5mm and what you see is about the best option I could get for a retention pin that small.

For the Semi spec pins, the ID is a little over 6mm so you can get one of those push button release retention pins in that size. So I've ordered some of those to try and make some with that type of retention pin.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
doesn't anyone make an UZI specific brass catcher that works good?
From what I saw and heard, the Herr-Pear one was the best, but it seemed to interfere with optics (which I don't run). I actually got the second to last one he ever made and feel fortunate to have gotten it but though he'd said he wouldn't mind anyone copying the design, nobody seems to have stepped up to make more.

There is one hard plastic one (which I also own) made by E&L which always worked well for me in my semi, but I heard from some full auto guys that the hard plastic combined with the constant ejection sometimes made the brass cases bounce back into the action causing jams. I think it was Amphibian who said he'd had some luck gluing a piece of felt or some type of soft cloth to the part of the inside where the cases hit to prevent this but I'm not sure it was a perfect fix. The real problem I had with mine is that it clamps over the top of the receiver cover (once again interfering with optics if you have them) and then holds on to the side of the receiver via a little protrusion on the side that slips into the pin that retains the pistol grip. This little protrusion wore out over time on mine to where it no longer held. I ended up drilling a small hole and screwing a small screw with a small enough head to fit into the retaining pin. That's held up perfectly and actually improved the fit a little since it was a tighter fit and didn't degrade. Soon afterward I got the Herr-Pear one so I didn't use this one as much anymore. I'm pretty sure that screw will hold without wearing out, but I can only imagine how much wear full auto guys put on their equipment.

There was also another one which was made of rigid plastic with a mesh bag and held on via a modified handguard screw. I managed to get my hands on one years ago, but was never able to find someone to machine the modified screw for me to try mounting it (though I did get pictures and measurements of what it should look like).

Bottom line: no, I don't think anyone's come up with a perfect solution but it looks like Amphibian may have just accomplished this.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Half the fun is seeing a stream of brass cases coming out?
I get it and in a perfect world I would have little minions pop out and pick my brass up for me so I can reload it and comply with the range rules of policing my brass but till then I want a brass catcher.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
If you decide to produce any for sale, put me down for one.
So I am in the process of putting another one together using the cheap catcher I have in the first picture. Using that frame saves me the time and aggravation to make my own frame. I just need to remove the coating where I need to weld on the thing and careful I don't burn the house down as the last one caught on fire (the coating).
Call it $30 in just the materials.
How much would it be worth it to you (or anyone interested) for me to make them?

delta-10

I'd say anywhere in the $75 to $100 range. It depends on how much labor time you would have in them if you decided to make a batch of say 10 to 20 and got a good rhythm going. Now if you really decided to go all out and make them really nice like the Herr-Pear ones and you fix the rotation issue then I would go up to $300. You're a smart guy, I'm sure if you put your mind to it and have the time you'll get something figured out.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I'd say anywhere in the $75 to $100 range. It depends on how much labor time you would have in them if you decided to make a batch of say 10 to 20 and got a good rhythm going. Now if you really decided to go all out and make them really nice like the Herr-Pear ones and you fix the rotation issue then I would go up to $300. You're a smart guy, I'm sure if you put your mind to it and have the time you'll get something figured out.
Maybe you didn't pay attention but my design DID fix the rotation issue. Look at the 3rd picture in my first post.
I tried it yesterday on my full auto Mini and it worked perfectly.
Also the Herr-Pear one, I would occasionally have brass somehow fall out the sides and on my hand as I think it has a little too much gap between the receiver.
The Herr Pear one is also sheet metal. Mine being mesh is completely silent.

Last edited:

mirage

UZI Talk Life Member
Maybe you didn't pay attention but my design DID fix the rotation issue. Look at the 3rd picture in my first post.
I tried it yesterday on my full auto Mini and it worked perfectly.
Also the Herr-Pear one, I would occasionally have brass somehow fall out the sides and on my hand as I think it has a little too much gap between the receiver.
The Herr Pear one is also sheet metal. Mine being mesh is completely silent.
Amphibian,
if you plan on making more brass catchers please add me to the list. I have the full size uzi.
Nick.

Dirk Hawthorne

In two big storage buckets behind my furnace.

Speaking of which, how much are 9mm reloads costing you? Mine cost $17.95 per 100, when using cast 124 gr LCN

So I'm saving like $5.50 off of buying bulk factory ammo per 100. I shoot about 350 rounds when I take my UZI out, so that's 3.5 x $5.50 = $20 per range trip saved.

meh

root

UZI Talk Supporter
I never had any luck with brass catchers and I have had a few.

I have a few nice soft mesh ones for my AR and even those will bounce the cases back into the port.

Have a hard plastic one for 1911 guns but ya can't use the sights since it clips over slide and pinches the frame to latch on.

Now days I just open the back garage door and shoot out of the back of the garage and pick my brass up off of thr concrete.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter