New MAC owner, looking to identify magazines

jcook119

Good morning,

I recently inherited a Texas MAC from my father, who passed away in October. I only shot it a couple of times before he died, and I never got much info from him about the gun or the parts/extras that came with it. I'm just starting to research MACs and figure out what all I have. My first question is about magazines. I've been trying to ID the 6 mags that he had, and I haven't had much luck. The gun has a problem with bending ejection rods, and based on that I think I am going to send it to Sam at Practical Solutions for some work. Before I do that I'd like to know what these are. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

Attachments

• IMG_6131.jpg
    IMG_6131.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6132.jpg
    IMG_6132.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 24

jcook119

Thanks Mac Man, I hadn't come across any info on those before. Supposedly Dad bought this gun new in box many years ago, would there have been any shipped with those mags or does this have to have been a later conversion?

jcook119

That's exactly what I think the problem is. The current rod is one I bought from Practical Solutions and we tried out last time he had it at the range. The new rod lasted 1 mag before it bent. My plan now that I have it is to send it to Sam to have it converted to use UZI mags, but I haven't talked to him yet. I wanted to find out what the heck these mags were before I call him so I can give him the correct info on current setup.

Haris1

UZI Talk Life Member
the PAM mags were sold by recon Ordnance in wisconsin
get the shockwaveZ mags or cobray mags that were made for it

jcook119

Thanks for the Shockwave recommendations, I will order one to try out.

Next question, what options are there for 45 mags? I have a 45 upper for this as well, I don't think dad ever used it. I assume this is due to not having mags. Are there any options that support both calibers without mag-well modifications, besides an UZI conversion?

Slowmo

.45 magazines are usually lightly modified magazines from the M3 “Grease Gun.” With a different magazine release, you can use unmodified Grease Gun mags. If the gun is setup as a factory 9mm, I’m not sure the Grease Gun mags will fit though.

If you went with the Uzi grip, I believe you might be able to use .45 Uzi magazines, though I’m not sure if the bolt would have to be modified.

If you haven’t already, I recommend you look at Lage’s upper receivers that transform the gun into entirely different creatures. Examples include the Max-10/15 (transforms gun into 5.56 carbine), the Max-10/31 and 10/31k (slowfire 9mm uppers capable of using 72rd drums), and the Max-10/9 (slowfire 9mm upper). They all use picatinny rails, so you can use optics, better sights, etc.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
What size grip frame is on this gun?
45 or 9..?
A 45 can be converted to 9 but not the otherway around in factory configuration.

I'm suspecting you haven't found All the bits and pieces your Father may have stashed.

If He bought this NIB there should be Mac/cobray marked mags someplace and probly a few other goodies.

Concorde

Moderator, UZI Talk Life Member,
It would help us help you if you post of photo of the gun as you currently have it configured.

hkg3k

UZI Talk Life Member
My plan now that I have it is to send it to Sam to have it converted to use UZI mags, but I haven't talked to him yet.

IMO, this is your best option. You will have to spend some money though. That Uzi grip-well will also give you some .45 options as well, if you desire.

As an alternative to a conversion to an UZI magwell, consider getting ShockWave ZMag magazines that work great in your factory magwell.

Am I wrong in understanding the single-feed M10-9mm magazine needs a 2nd catch engagement (to take into account for the M10's taller receiver), which the Zmag doesn't have? And is the reason why the Zytel mags have the 2nd catch engagement?

I'm with chili17 in that I think the ejection rod bending is coming from over-inserting the PAM2 magazines.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Here's some more info about those magazines:

As an alternative to a conversion to an UZI magwell, consider getting ShockWave ZMag magazines that work great in your factory magwell. You can find out more about all the options at
I don’t believe the shockwave z mags will work properly in an M10 with a 9mm conversion sleeve like his gun. I don’t think zmags are cut for an M10 mag catch. I’m assuming this gun has to be an SWD Texas rebuild if it’s a single feed 9mm, and those PAM 2s work in it, but I don’t believe the shockwaves will latch. It may be possible to modify the mag catch to make it work with the shockwaves but I think they’re only cut for the M11 mag catch.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Maybe this is a 45 lower with 9mm adapter.......issues multiply.

I guess we may hear back or not.
If if he was using single feed Pam 2 mags my money is on SWD TX rebuild with a dedicated 9mm magwell. Those are the only M10s that ever came with a single feed 9mm bolt (from the factory anyway.). The magwell insert is intended for use with a double feed bolt and magazines, as it has the spoon feedramp attached to it. If it’s an original Texas SMG with the .45 magwell then it has a double feed bolt and those PAM mags won’t work

Slowmo

I'm with chili17 in that I think the ejection rod bending is coming from over-inserting the PAM2 magazines.
People feel the uncontrolled and compulsive need to slap magazines in. You can tell them not to, that it’s not necessary, that it beats up on the gun and/or mag, but they just have to give it a smack like they have seen in movies.

It’s easy enough to ignore with a cheap AR mag, but some MG mags can be quite expensive, and you can break parts (like bending ejector rods) with some designs. Yet, people still must smack it.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Welp...I wisht we had a "great info " like emoji fukall but we don't.

I'm grasping at straws when not all info is posted and no pics.

Texas gun is not in my arsenal....soo the details are a best guess.

I too wondered about the bolt.....knowing there were single/double feed things happening weather factory or OG......My brain space is plugged with beltfed stuff.

Maybe He finds the mother load trunk full of parts , Cobray trinkets ,

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter