Reloading Subsonic 9mm

bwsmg

UZI Talk Life Member
How can you guarantee a balanced projectile for barrel twist rate rotation?

Careful...!

desertfox

UZI Talk Supporter
been shooting up powder I have already had around. now I am starting to try and figure which one I want to get one or two 8lb kegs of. I would prefer a cleaner powder and keep seeing a lot of good stuff about Titegroup, but I also see a lot of comments on the extra heat generated from it. since I'll be using it for atleast 9mm 147grn through suppressed 9mm AR15 and a Mac 11/9 suppressed is the extra heat something to worry about?

I can also pick up locally a couple kegs of HS-6. from my readings, as long as the loads are not light, it is effecient burning. I can get these for about $15 to $20 less then the titegroup.

I am also going to be loading 45acp, and eventually 40S&W. the 45 acp will be in a Mac10 without a suppressor and I have 2K of lead 230grn projectiles sitting on a shelf.....

captbill

I like tight group. I am just loading 115gr plated and have not noticed the heat.

Stryker1112

UZI Talk Supporter
TrippHammer said:
I reloaded 4000 rounds of subsonic 9mm in the past 2 months.
I used Frontier plated 147 grain bullets w/ 4gr of Unique.

Running around -30db in my YHM Wraith on my Max-11 and about the same on my MK-760.

I have used as little as 3.7 grains of Unique and it will cycle but I prefer a
little extra relaibility in cycling.

I have run this in a full auto Glock w/ Neilson and no problems cycling.

Unique is a little dirty but at the price its hard to beat.

Oh I use a Dillion 550B as well and I mounted it on a rolling Chasis (w/ casters) Rolls right back into the closet after a long Saturday night watching
war movies and reloading. I can do about 500-600 per hour easily.

Do you have a pic of your set up? I'd like to maybe go this direction

gunham

Hey Folks, how about listing the primer that you use when you mention a load.

FL_Tactical

First post but I have been browsing the site for a while now.

Been using Berry's plated 147gr RN with 3.4gr Titegroup, 1.150 OAL & .376 crimp with good success in my 9mm ARs. I plan on trying some 147gr Precision Delta FMJs soon but just got in some Missouri Bullet Co. 147gr lead FPs to try. Should I load these to the same powder weight, OAL & crimp as I was using on the Berry's? Looking to use them for subsonic plinking use (with a take apart can).

Thanks.

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
anybody use Red Dot & 147's to make sub-sonic rounds? Only reason is I have a LOT of Red Dot...

I have been advised by several reloading buddies to stay away from the Dot powders-cannot remember why-but stuck with their advice.I don't know anyone who is currently using it.

ddmau

I have been advised by several reloading buddies to stay away from the Dot powders-cannot remember why-but stuck with their advice.I don't know anyone who is currently using it.

Just thought I'd interject here...UziTalk noob, but I've been reloading just about every type of ammo you can imagine for over 30+ years (including Black Powder).

The problem with Red Dot in a 9mm case is that it doesn't necessarily meter well through a powder measure at that small amount (about 3.4 gr for 147 Gr plated bullet)....especially if you are running a progressive loader (which I assume most MG shooters do).

Red Dot is a great powder, don't get me wrong, I've used a lot myself, but I generally didn't load anything smaller than 45 ACP with it. When I used it, I always metered each load by hand.....it's just a powder that doesn't like to "flow" well through a volumetric measure.

My personal favorite now is Hodgen's Titegroup...one of the most versatile powders out there IMHO....I load it in all my pistol-calibers now. Vita Vouri is also an outstanding powder...but almost impossible to find down here....

Hope that helps......but again, just my humble opinion....reloading & Voodoo have a lot in common :evilgrin

Last edited:

K2

Second ddmau's comments w/Red Dot. I use it quite a bit with 9mm but it took some time to find a measure that would meter well w/o bridging (light powder drops). My 145 Pb RN 9mm 1.15 OAL loads run between 3.0 and 3.4 depending on the gun. The 3.0's run about 900 fps over screens from 4" to 10" barrel length. Very little muzzle flash at night which is good for night shoots. Cheap & clean for subsonics but you will be spending some time finding a measure that will throw consistent charges.

Good Luck,

K2

Steve B

I've been running 3.4 gr of Titegroup behind 124 gr Rainier's. They're running just under 1000 fps. My M10 hasn't missed a beat with them.

ddmau

FYI : HP38 and Winchester 231 are the same, and H110 and Win 296 are also the same. ....so if you've tried Win 231, you've also shot HP38.

There are something like 5 powders that are the same between Winchester and Hodgdon. They are all produced by Primex Technologies, Inc. in the same factory out of St Petersburg Florida and the only differences are the labeling.

Bayou

ddmau, thanks for the heads up between Winchester and Hogdon. I knew HP-38 was the same 231 but was wanting to place another order for Berry's 9mm and was curious how hard it was to get the 124's to stay subsonic. I've only loaded the 115 9mm berry's and it took 4.5 of HP-38 to be reliable with my G17. 1st reloads that I have worked up/figured out, was just looking at cost savings on the 124's versus the 147's.

jrlumpp

Has anyone found much of a difference between Titegroup and V V 320 for clean up?

THM7

UZI Talk Supporter
I have reloaded using both powders....alot. I just use Titegroup now.....it is clean enough and much cheaper. I have not noticed any additional crap in my suppressors. I used to think the Vit was the best powder around.....Tightgroup works just fine in 9mm subsonics.

f-pig

I'm thinking about getting come 158gr 38 special projo's and pushing them through a lee .356 sizing die. Anybody try this?

I have done this. I bought Rainier 160 grain round nose bullets and pushed them through a .355 sizing die. Since it is barely resizing them, it doesn't have a chance to unbalance them as another poster suggested. I never had any problems. I used 4.4 grains of VV N350 at 1.160" OAL and obtained 1008 fps out of my Uzi submachinegun. I also tried 4.2 grains of VV N350, and this resulted in 984 fps out of the same gun.

However I have since switched to Hornady 147 grain round nose bullets. I push these to 1100 fps with 3.9 grains of Titegroup with 1.155" OAL. I know that Hodgdon says 3.6 max, so be sure not to use a shorter OAL. I have shot many thousands without a problem.

Using the 147 grain bullets saves the hassle of resizing the 38 caliber bullets, and I get more energy while still staying subsonic. They also shoot flatter.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter