UZI or MAC?

johnson184

Decided to get my first machine gun sometime in 2016. (Probably going to be another 5+ months before I get the funds free) Been debating between getting an Uzi or a Mac as my first machine gun... but now I'm leaning towards the Mac after reading these posts. What is it about Lage uppers that has revolutionized Macs? I'm not familiar with them. Mac10 or Mac 11 if I'm planning on shooting just 9mm and with a Lage upper? Think i can acquire one for under $5000?

Last edited:

rhouston8

UZI Talk Life Member
Uzi and Mac are in two different price ranges mind you. I'd guess $11,500 for Uzi and $6,000+ for mac (at least a M11/9).

No, I doubt you'll find a Mac11/9 for $5k. I could be wrong though. Others more up on ultra current prices of the various models can chime in and correct me/expand on pricing.

The Lage upper turns the mac into a controllable, slower rate of fire, heavier, more accurate gun, with a rail for optics, and a real butt stock. Plus foregrip. Good stuff! The stock Mac is too small, fast ROF, piss poor stock, and just isnt much to hold onto. IMO at least.

As far as Mac 10 vs Mac11 and all that jazz first go read the mac history and articles that hopefully are stickies in the library section. Got to pick a caliber as well.

mike_phoenix

What is it about Lage uppers that has revolutionized Macs? I'm not familiar with them.
The Lage upper has transformed the gun to a more user friendly subgun. You would have to shoot the MAC in it's original form then shoot it with a Lage upper to get a better understanding. Also, MACs were not winning Subgun matches before in their original configuration. MACs are now winning Subgun matches with the Lage upper.

Mac10 or Mac 11 if I'm planning on shooting just 9mm and with a Lage upper? Think i can acquire one for under $5000?
The Mac 11 has more aftermarket accessories. If you are also looking at the Mac10, I wouldn't cross out the MAC10/45. You can always insert the 9mm magwell insert and shoot 9mm in a MAC10/45. That way you can shoot 45acp and 9mm by changing uppers and the mag well insert. You can't shoot 45acp in a Mac 11. However, the Mac 11 also has the Lage 22lr upper. Shooting 22lr in the MAC10 is available, but not as common. Decisions decisions.

It may help if you find local subgun owners and meet them at the range with a few hundred rounds of ammo.
That may help your decision making.

pmf

I'd vote for the uzi. Get a Vector or good IMI conversion -- not a registered bolt. I have both an M11/9 and an uzi, and the uzi is hands down the better gun. If you're short on funds and you want to get a machine gun, then the M11/9 with a Lage upper is the best bang for the buck no doubt. In its stock form, I'd argue that a M11/9 is dangerous to shoot. So if you get one, you need to spend $1000 on the Lage upper. There are other cheaper side cocking uppers, but Lage is the Cadillac. The uzi is more versatile and solid than the M11/9. I've got a 45 conversion for mine, but I rarely ever use it. Given the run up in 22 prices, I don't use the 22 conversion much either. I've never gotten the 22 conversions in either guns to run 100%.

johnson184

Hmm, I think I'm going to go ahead with a Mac11 then with a Lage upper. This may be a stupid question... but if I got a .380 Mac11, could I shoot 9mm with a simple selection of the 9mm Lage upper? It seems the .380 Mac11s are cheaper than the 9mm versions.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Hmm, I think I'm going to go ahead with a Mac11 then with a Lage upper. This may be a stupid question... but if I got a .380 Mac11, could I shoot 9mm with a simple selection of the 9mm Lage upper? It seems the .380 Mac11s are cheaper than the 9mm versions.

Yes. I too have a RPB M11, .380, small magwell. I have a Lage Max31A MK2 upper that requires the Suomi 72 rd drums for the 9mm conversion (since the magwell won't take 9mm mags). I really like this package.

If you find a true M11-A1 .380 with the large magwell you can use a different Lage upper that uses standard M11/9 9mm stick mags.
Just check on availability of this upper; they are not common and may not be in current production.

rescue161

I've got an M10/45 and an Uzi. I wanted an Uzi, but could never find one that I wanted for the price, so I settled for the M10. I finally ended up getting the Uzi that I really wanted for a decent price.

So, with that being said, get what you really want the first time around; that way, you won't regret your purchase if you just settle. Also, with the way prices are shooting upward, I'd get the most expensive gun now and buy the cheaper one later (if you were planning to eventually get both).

johnson184

I've got an M10/45 and an Uzi. I wanted an Uzi, but could never find one that I wanted for the price, so I settled for the M10. I finally ended up getting the Uzi that I really wanted for a decent price.

So, with that being said, get what you really want the first time around; that way, you won't regret your purchase if you just settle. Also, with the way prices are shooting upward, I'd get the most expensive gun now and buy the cheaper one later (if you were planning to eventually get both).

Do you have a Lage upper on your Mac10? How does it compare to the Uzi?

rescue161

I do have a Lage upper. It was night and day between standard and slow-fire, but being a "Fat MAC," it was already heavy and adding the Lage upper made it very heavy. I didn't mind as it reduced felt recoil and made it extremely controllable. I still shoot the Uzi more often now. Although heavy, it is still lighter than the M10 with the Lage. The magazines are cheaper and easier to load on the Uzi due to the Lula loader.

In the end, get as many machine guns as you can. Hopefully, I can win the lottery tonight so I can get more!

I like the rate of fire on the Lage better than the standard Uzi, but the ROF on the Uzi is easily changed using buffers.

Ericoak

Personally, I'd take an m11/9 even if they are the same price. I find the max11/9 to be a very smooth shooting gun, and quite easy to change ROF. Optics mounting is much easier. Very versatile gun.

rescue161

I liked the stock M10 vs the stock M11 due to rate of fire; the M10 being slower. I have never owned or shot an M11, but would get one of those with a Lage upper in a heart beat if the price was right. Maybe even over the Uzi due to all of the accessories that are available for the M11, but I do love my Uzi!

johnson184

Personally, I'd take an m11/9 even if they are the same price. I find the max11/9 to be a very smooth shooting gun, and quite easy to change ROF. Optics mounting is much easier. Very versatile gun.

Interesting... Seems the Mac11 with Lage upper can't be beat for value but even if it was priced similarly to the uzi, many of you still prefer the Lage Mac11.

pmf

Interesting... Seems the Mac11 with Lage upper can't be beat for value but even if it was priced similarly to the uzi, many of you still prefer the Lage Mac11.

I've taken people out to shoot both and more than one have said they prefer the M11/9.

softaildeluxe

Banned

There are certain Mac fans that seem place a high value on the fact that you have options for "Dress Up" (thanks to Lage Manufacturing) which make it a quite a unique weapon.
That is not me. I own both but favor the UZI because it is clearly superior.

I have my Ken and Barbie dolls if I decide to play "Dress Up".

Last edited:

Garrett

Their are certain Mac fans that seem place a high value on the fact that you have options for "Dress Up" (thanks to Lage Manufacturing) and make it a quite a unique weapon.

Not being able to play "dress up" does not make one superior to the other.

Ericoak

There are certain Mac fans that seem place a high value on the fact that you have options for "Dress Up" (thanks to Lage Manufacturing) which make it a quite a unique weapon.

If I want a 7.5lb 25" gun I'll grab an m16, a far superior weapon than an Uzi. If I want a small light subgun I'll go max 11K.

ateamrob

I have owned both over the years and ended up selling my MAC 10 3 years ago and kept my Uzi 9mm. I would never sell the Uzi.... just a tank of a weapon and works like a charm, never misses a beat, eats literally ANY ammo I put through her and I love the style and look of it.

Rob

softaildeluxe

Banned
I have owned both over the years and ended up selling my MAC 10 3 years ago and kept my Uzi 9mm. I would never sell the Uzi.... just a tank of a weapon and works like a charm, never misses a beat, eats literally ANY ammo I put through her and I love the style and look of it.

Rob

I think just as you do, and I would guess you and I are not the minority.
I will stand by my "Clearly Superior" statement.

However, It looks like there will always those who believe "Fun and Trendy" will trump "Clearly Superior".

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter