Congrats Lage MFG!

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Would an approval in caliber 5.56 allow production in other calibers without further approval? While a 5.56 would be the best choice a .308 might be interesting on the M-10. 7.62x39 was interesting until Biden did his anti-Russian ammo thing recently.

The AR-10 and AR-15 are two different mechanisms. They are similar but not the same system. The increase in the length of cartridge requires a longer magwell and longer stroke. It would seem to me that since the current design would not be long enough to accommodate 7.62X51, would require a design and resubmition.

Scott

llamasabound

UZI Talk Life Member
Shouldn't be that hard, go with the small one fo sho!
Alternatively, get both!

Agreed! The hard choice is give up my 2nd month delivery of an M10/15 for a 6-7th month delivery of an M11A1/15. I’ve slowly learned to be a patient person, but all the 556 I’ve stockpiled isn’t going to shoot itself.

skoda

UZI Talk Life Member
The AR-10 and AR-15 are two different mechanisms. They are similar but not the same system. The increase in the length of cartridge requires a longer magwell and longer stroke. It would seem to me that since the current design would not be long enough to accommodate 7.62X51, would require a design and resubmition.

Scott

Scott,

The size of the components shouldn't matter if the design follows the same basic concept/architecture. Does a suppressor manufacturer have to get approval for every can that they make? Does a rifle manufacturer have to get one for every caliber. Can you see Winchester going through that because they come out with a Model 70 in a long and then a short action? Palmetto State Armory would be bankrupt if they had to get approval for every AR-15 upper that they came out with.

My question was mostly to Richard Lage to ask if he would have to do a major mechanism redesign for .308 over 5.56 for the added power, not would he have to enlarge the magazine well to fit a longer cartridge. A longer bolt stroke could be handled by a longer upper - unless there is something about the Lage system that precludes that and therefor my question.........

LawBob

Scott,

The size of the components shouldn't matter if the design follows the same basic concept/architecture. Does a suppressor manufacturer have to get approval for every can that they make? Does a rifle manufacturer have to get one for every caliber. Can you see Winchester going through that because they come out with a Model 70 in a long and then a short action? Palmetto State Armory would be bankrupt if they had to get approval for every AR-15 upper that they came out with.

My question was mostly to Richard Lage to ask if he would have to do a major mechanism redesign for .308 over 5.56 for the added power, not would he have to enlarge the magazine well to fit a longer cartridge. A longer bolt stroke could be handled by a longer upper - unless there is something about the Lage system that precludes that and therefor my question.........

A can can’t be a firearm. An upper might be if you can fire it without a lower.

It would be logical that the atf would approve a similar design perhaps more quickly in a larger magwell, but not guaranteed.

LawBob

A longer bolt stroke could be handled by a longer upper - unless there is something about the Lage system that precludes that and therefor my question.........

You only have the distance from the front of the sear to the back of the lower.

LawBob

Scott,

“Palmetto State Armory would be bankrupt if they had to get approval for every AR-15 upper that they came out with.

They aren’t making uppers for open bolt guns that can literally fire without the fire control unit.

Example and don’t do this: you can put a cartridge in your detached upper and drop the bolt on it with gravity. Boom.

An open bolt upper that has a magazine well is especially concerning if you could pull bolt back and let er rip without the registered lower. (That’s called a machine gun).

Wabostyle

UZI Talk Life Member
Congrats Richardand and team Lage! #34 on the M10 list. Can’t wait!

pjm204

When you see this thread and then search through your email to find out you never got on the list. Dammit. I got on the lists for the Tenko and Ulti-Mac but not the Lage...ugh.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
An open bolt upper that has a magazine well is especially concerning if you could pull bolt back and let er rip without the registered lower. (That’s called a machine gun).

I’ve posted this almost to the T.
With a max-31 or any forward (non factory) mag well you can do a mag dump with no (Lower) receiver. Simply insert a loaded mag, place the rear of the upper against something, pull the bolt back, then let it go and Bang.

Unfortunately, AFT will likely change their minds in the future.
They have a history of doing it especially with approval letters.

Regardless, it’s an assume time to be a MAC owner of any variety as there’s two companies that’s making rifles caliber uppers now.

sparky923

A can can’t be a firearm. An upper might be if you can fire it without a lower.

It would be logical that the atf would approve a similar design perhaps more quickly in a larger magwell, but not guaranteed.
Oh?

krazymac

Congratulations Richard! Thank y’all for all you do for the Mac community!

So much time has passed I can’t remember if you have any anodized/finished versions of these. If so would you or Jackie mind posting some pics to help us get even more fired up? #18 on A1 and #86 on M10 here I come!

Edit, my 11/15 runs like a top, never an issue. I love it!

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter