Search results

1. M

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. My Beretta AR70 clone.

Your plastic furniture looks great (way better than my kits...) did you do anything to it or did you get lucky?
  2. M

ARM Kits

Where are those barrels from?
  3. M

R4 question (Can I get away with using an ISRAELI ARM Block?)

Yes. The early (no bayonet lug Israeli and first R4) blocks were the same. The only noticeable difference between my late R4 and ARM block is the sling loop. There are recent pictures of Israeli made guns still in service, so the parts are still in use.
  4. M

R4 wooden handgaurd?

Only point of argument to Mr. Folger's excellent post is I have never seen an ARM or R4 with a standard length ARM HG from SA. I have seen R4s with scope mount cuts, carry handles, early flash hiders, metal stocks, and straight gas tubes. There is also the issue of the straight gas tubes with...
  5. M

R4 wooden handgaurd?

It is an early R4 handguard. Supplied (we assume) with the first production of Israeli rifles in the late 70s early 80s. It was replaced rather quickly by the plastic handguard (much like the R1's wood stock, FN production rifles had wood stocks, SA made, plastic)
  6. M

my early SA r4 galil parts collection for build so far. let me know your thoughts

Your parts are good to go, the flat stock and ribbed trigger guard are correct. Your gas block is IMI and is correct for an early R4. The later type had a reinforced sling loop. The ARM gas tube (no lip) is correct, but the R4 (with lip) is certainly possible.
  7. M

Got a package from South Africa today (Another rifle project begins)

All South African bolts should have the "P in oval" proof mark (like FAL bolts, barrels, bolt carriers and receivers used by the SADF) to indicate they were proof tested. They should have this if they were made in Israel or South Africa. The first bolts were standard IMI bolts and had free...
  8. M

Lou- it is hard to see in the pic but I think it has a oval P proof stamp? It's a little worn or hard to see due to lighting?
  9. M

Lou- of note we have no idea how many rifles South Africa bought from IMI, I think a few thousand is a safe bet, but neither IMI (or IWI) or LIW publish export data but we do know that over 100,000 rifles were made. I don't think the "N" refers to the bolt mod. In Kalashnikov, the arms and the...
  10. M

I think Mr Folgers brings up a valid point, that there is going to be a lot of parts variation in the South African rifles because there was IMI and developing local production. Based on recent pictures there are still IMI made R4 rifles (wood handguards, metal stocks, and scope cuts) in...
  11. M

If it came from Mr Folgers then it's legit. What was odd to me was the sidewise "N". I've had a few R series bolts that didn't have that mark (also the three batch codes I've seen were all in the 40s). A new mark for the library.
  12. M

I agree with Lou, the proof mark is not normal, but not necessarily wrong. Another posability is that is one of the bolts that were modified by the SADF to add the "spring". The armorers manual addresses this and marking the bolt with the rifle's serial number on the bolt stem to indicate the...
  13. M

Blackthorne 308 Barrel

I did not pay a fee. I just put in the comments that I got a 17" on last time and I wanted an 18" for a project and that I would be happy with a 1:12 or a 1:7.
  14. M

Blackthorne 308 Barrel

My second showed up today. I asked for an 18" in the order comments and I got an 18" CR 1-7 marked. Mine must have been stamped by the new guy because the 12 G 96 marking and the CR 1-7 are lightly stamped around the entire circumference of the barrel. I had a SAR barrel like that a few years...
  15. M

Blackthorne 308 Barrel

I have no problem ordering another, it's a heck of a deal, I just one that is 18" long. Were all of yours 18"?
  16. M

Blackthorne 308 Barrel

I got my 5.56mm barrel today. It is IMI marked '88 dated and I assume 1:12 (I've got three IMI barrels and the only one that is 1:7 is marked as such, the others are 1:12 and unmarked) and brand new in the white. The only odd thing is my barrel is 17" long. I will keep it, it's still a deal, but...
  17. M

Bullet Guides and Valmet Buffers

Jeff Miller told me to use the Blackthorne bullet guide, so that is the one I would recommend.
  18. M

what all do i still need to complete my galil kit

You are correct that the first batches of South African R4s had carry handles. The SADF then removed the handles from the brackets before replacing them with a part without the fitting. AR/ARM length gas tubes have become very hard to find, there are lots of R4 and SAR length tubes floating...
  19. M

What aer these?

That is an AP file photo. As you noted, those are CAI guns (tags, boxes, ground bayonet lugs, zip tie ejection ports all point to it) and I would bet that that is a picture taken a gunshow and the website pulled a photo from AP that looked like an arms cache becuase the Irsaelis did not publish...
  20. M

DIY "Spring-Loaded" Bolt Option?

RSR- Once you take your bolt apart you will see that it is a very simple modification. However many shooters in South Africa remove the "spring" part of their rifles because with enough time, exposure to dirt and cleaning solvents the rubber tube can become sticky and either result in failures...

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter