Uzi brass catcher

emerz

UZI Talk Supporter
I swear I saw a brass catcher for sale on some site about a year ago that looked like a direct knock-off of the Herr-Pear catcher. I can't for the life of me remember where it was though. :(

Seemed like it was a site that was selling predominantly MAC parts.

I was going to post a link here but it didn't seem appropriate at the time. Maybe somebody else saw it??

IIRC it was selling for about $39.95.

sharps_74

sofltodd said:
I searched and didn't find it under herr-pear or brass catcher. It was late 2004 or early 2005. I ran into it on accident a while ago. Is there any way to search by date range instead of just posts older than a year. I'll see if I can find it later tonight.

in the meantime here is a photo I just took of mine. Notice no top bar as with the other design. - Todd

attachment.php

Bro. all I'm seein' is a red "X".

I started working one out of copper. The first one looks like crap.

toybuilder

UZI Talk Life Member
catcher v0.9

Had a few miniutes today, think I need a bit more clearance in places.... and stainless wasn't the best choice, maybe aluminium. Once I get the design down the plates will be waterjet cut, still working on the through pin idea(inside the takedown pin)

catcher3.jpg
catcher2.jpg
catcher5.jpg
catcher1.jpg
catcher4.jpg

sharps_74

Nice job. I had not thought of using stainless. I am still working out many of the details.

NFANut

UZI Talk Life Member
I have one of his catchers and I'm fairly certain it's the later style.
I could probably be talked into sending it off so someone could use it (first hand) to make them.
A picture is worth a 1000 words but nothing like holding it in your hand. :)

There is a cloth bag that is velcro'd to the bottom for brass collection.
The top cover (cushion) is nothing more than electrical tape covered with heat shrink IIRC. I thought I had an improvement to that idea but got busy with life and I just used it as is.

Anyway... so do we have two people working on making them?

toybuilder

UZI Talk Life Member
catcher

I've been slacking, spent the weekend skydiving, too hot in the shop. I appreciate the offer to copy the design, might take you up on it. Hope to get one finished and tested by the end of the month.

jim c 351

E&L brass catchers

I noticed that E&L brass catchers for the Uzi are not mentioned. Is there something wrong with them?
Jim C

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
jim c 351 said:
I noticed that E&L brass catchers for the Uzi are not mentioned. Is there something wrong with them?
Jim C

Yes. The hard plastic body allows rounds to bounch back into the gun and cause a jam. The nice thing about Herr-Pear's design was that the chute directed the cases down into the bag and they wouldn't bounce back.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
elhombre said:
I came across this the other day. Never used it, never used the company that sells it. Just thought I'd throw it in to this discussion. The Herr Pear design seems more elegant.

http://www.usmachinegun.com/proddetail.php?prod=UZI-0100

elhombre

That's the E&L model. I've heard a couple of people mention that it can bounce spent cases back into the action and cause a jam, but I've used it without problems for years. Then again, I don't have a full auto, the rapid rate of fire probably makes a difference. Also, the little tab on the E&L one that holds on to the pistol grip crosspin to hold it in place can get worn down. Mine did until it no longer held in place, though I simply screwed in a small screw with a head that was small enough to fit into the crosspin hole and this has worked fine.

jim c 351

RoverDave said:
Yes. The hard plastic body allows rounds to bounch back into the gun and cause a jam. The nice thing about Herr-Pear's design was that the chute directed the cases down into the bag and they wouldn't bounce back.
Dave,
I wonder what would happen if you cut out the bottom of the E&L catcher and installed the bottom, 1/3, of a 25 lb shot bag, held in place by a heavy duty rubber band.
I imagine someone thought of this long before I did, but I thought I mention it anyway.
Jim C

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
jim c 351 said:
Dave,
I wonder what would happen if you cut out the bottom of the E&L catcher and installed the bottom, 1/3, of a 25 lb shot bag, held in place by a heavy duty rubber band.
I imagine someone thought of this long before I did, but I thought I mention it anyway.
Jim C

I don't think it's the bottom part that causes the problems, it's the angle of the top part. I thought of gluing an appropriately shaped felt pad to the area to keep it from bouncing back sharply, but since I myself have never experienced this problem, I never got around to trying it. Not sure it would work anyway.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
jim c 351 said:
Dave,
Jim C

I don't know if it would work but it would probably be the ugliest hing seen at the range! :jester

Ben Dover

UZI Talk Life Member
There seems to be a lot of room in that catcher.

It got me wondering how those Automatic briefcases work? Seems like the briefcase would have a whole lot less room for spent brass.

If anybody knows,,please post a quick answer, or PM me, then let's get back to the thread at hand. I didn't mean to hijack this.

Thanks.

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
jim c 351 said:
Dave,
Jim C
I bought one of the E&L catchers used a while back and have cut the bottom out of it.I also sanded and slicked up the inside pretty good.When I get around to it I am going to glue on some velcro and make a nice black bag for it.

spitfiresubgun

Spitfire with E. L. Greasegun Brass catcher

You poor bastards have no imagination

Attachments

• 1Brass catcherj.jpg
    1Brass catcherj.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,248
  • 1Brass catchero.jpg
    1Brass catchero.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 923
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter