AM15 by Tactical Innovations?

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Godfather's upper was shipping this week. We should see several of these around the valley in the weeks to come.I spoke to Craig for almost 40 minutes and he's very confidant he's shipping a good product.

As you probably know, with the open bolt system the hammer becomes the sear, and the sear becomes the hammer... if that makes sense. Due to the work you had done on your gun, you may need to fit/file/remove material from your new sear.

With the open bolt FCG included with the upper, you can "notch" a 5.56 bolt as shown below, and have a open bolt gun in that caliber.
jan%2031%20066t.jpg

jan%2031%20067t.jpg

M60joe

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
Vegas SMG said:
With the open bolt FCG included with the upper, you can "notch" a 5.56 bolt as shown below, and have a open bolt gun in that caliber.

For .223 the hammer isn't hitting the firing pin with this TI FCG supplied..... The FCG supplied is for a fixed firing pin.

This "Sear Lever" might be needed to let the hammer go.. and it doesn't come with the kit. I don't have a open bolt FCG but it looks like it's needed... The carrier hits this sear lever and the sear lever rotates the sear. The sear rotates and allows the hammer to fall. Open bolt patent pics http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4433610.pdf

Attachments

• sear lever.jpg
    sear lever.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 790
Last edited:

Griz

I had a fantasy of rigging up a RDIAS open bolt FCG for the AM15, but from the looks of M60Joe's pics, there is a hefty spring on the part that would have to be held by the RDIAS, so maybe it isn't feasable....

M60Joe, have you thought about a way to make it work with an RDIAS?

HKjay223

UZI Talk Supporter
Fired it ,it goes bang. Had quite a few failure to feeds per drum. Rounds would get caught up and mangled. I had to pull drum to clear. Kind of a pain to do.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I don't need to hear this after my experience with the Bazooka Brothers adapter I recently sold. For this kind of money, I expect it to run.

What kind of ammo were you using? Craig said CCI Blazer or MiniMag are absolutely the two tops. Most bulk pack is a no go in his experience.

He also told me drums larger than the included 177 round drum will flex and may cause problems. He's working on a stainless steel replacement for the bottom plate.

Coming to the turkey shoot this Saturday? I'd like to eye ball the thing...

HKjay223

UZI Talk Supporter
Im going to try and make the shoot. I used CCI Minimags,Win super x and wildcats. All 3 did work the action and I found all 3 jammed in the feed block.Minimags were the best of the 3 but are covered in thick wax.That cant be good for the drums.

M60joe

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
HKjay223 said:
Fired it ,it goes bang. Had quite a few failure to feeds per drum. Rounds would get caught up and mangled. I had to pull drum to clear. Kind of a pain to do.

Looks like a wind issue IMHO. The ammo isn't being pushed down far enough into the feed block.

Be sure to wind the winder correctly. Even add a wind or two. Even with the AM180, I've added a drop of brake free to the friction areas of the drums to aid in spinning. This helps a lot.

The feed block springs are new, the drum is new, and the receiver is new... everything is tight. I haven't had any major issues unless the receiver is all crapped up after 4-5 drums with using a Can. I've been using Winchester Dynapoints.

VEGAS
THIS IS NOT A Bazooka Brothers adapter!!!!!
:-( :argue :)

I've had 4 Am180's. 1 pre sample and 3 transferable. This is not only as good but in my opinion better.
The feed block locks in place and never rides up (no little set screws to mess with, I never used one though)
No sear pin issues
Top cover optic friendly

Last edited:

osprey21

UZI Talk Life Member
I'm kinda sorry now I didn't get one when I had the $$$$.

HKjay223

UZI Talk Supporter
Yep, Followed the winding instructions and then some. 2-1/2 +1 wind per layer.Then started adding a wind per drum. Failures were getting more frequent as I went through drums. First drum 1 failure.2nd drum 3 failures.3rd drum 5 failures and so on.Didnt look dirty after a few drums so I hope its just a break in thing but all the parts seem to move freely.Ill try it again saturday.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Wildcat ammo is one that Craig specifically recommended against using. Of course when it comes to .22 conversions, use whatever snake oil works for your particular setup.

Hope to see you tomorrow!

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Well, I actually saw and handled HKjay223's AM-15 yesterday at our annual turkey shoot. It's a VERY nicely made upper, but unfortunately, it didn't run, or more precisely, it didn't feed. Consensus seems to be the design of the cast feed block is "rough" allowing rounds to hang up.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
AM-15 vaporware has arrived!

Five days short of four years, my AM-15 upper arrived today along with another local subgunner's upper. Both have been test fired so that makes us feel good, and both feed ramps are polished and free from burs that might be the cause of feeding problems HKjay223 has encountered with his upper. The FCG installation looks straightforward so I'm anxiously waiting for this weekend.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Vegas SMG said:
Five days short of four years, my AM-15 upper arrived today along with another local subgunner's upper. Both have been test fired so that makes us feel good, and both feed ramps are polished and free from burs that might be the cause of feeding problems HKjay223 has encountered with his upper. The FCG installation looks straightforward so I'm anxiously waiting for this weekend.
Congrats! I have been reading this thread for the past few weeks and every time I saw your post I would die a little because you had not received yours yet. Glad you stuck to your guns. Patience is the name of the game in NFA

HKjay223

UZI Talk Supporter
I talked with the guys at Tactical Innovations and they seem to think its drum flex causing my feed problems,I disagree.I mentioned the rough feedblock and they pretty much denied responsibility since the feed blocks come from E&L its how they get them. Pretty weak answers. So I did some polishing to my feed block tonight an will test it in the morning.Ill let you know how it goes.
Glad you got your finally Vegas.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Godfather was happy with the appearance of his feed block and so am I. At least we've got a few of these in town we can play with and swap parts. I'm too burned out to mess with it tonight. Why get in a hurry now?

Did Craig say when he'd be producing the stainless steel plates for the drums?

I'm a little confused on the "arm" that's in the selector bag...

Instructions for those interested.
http://www.tacticalinc.com/am15-assembly-c-374_379_458.html?infoBox=2

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
Happy Birthday to you Vegas!

I've got my fingers crossed for your upper to work beautifully!

Jake

subgunner

Vegas SMG said:
Did Craig say when he'd be producing the stainless steel plates for the drums?

E&L has aluminum bottom plates for the plastic drums.
So if you feel the need no point in waiting on TI's stainless.

VegasSMG I have a spare feed block for my AM180. I'll bring it to the next match.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter